Certificates of Residency
In order to have Saratoga County participate in the cost of his or her community college education, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residency and submit it to the college. Military personnel on active duty, as well as their spouses and dependent's, are entitled to the lower “Resident” rate directly from the college; they do not need a Certificate of Residency.
A student must apply for a certificate no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes and no later than 30 days after the college’s first day of classes. Certificates remain valid for one year of semesters, provided the student attends during the semester the certificate was issued. A student that does not attend during the semester the certificate was issued, must apply for and receive a new certificate. A valid certificate is required for each community college attended.
Students can obtain a certificate in person at the County Treasurer’s Office. Students, who are U.S. citizens residing at their current address for at least twelve consecutive months, without moving, may obtain a certificate from their town or city clerk prior to the cut off date. Cut off dates are dictated by the start of classes at each college and will vary. Town and city clerks are only authorized to issue certificates until the start of classes at the college. An application will be accepted from an individual other than the student if the student’s signature on the affidavit has been notarized.
- A student must be a continuous resident of New York State for one year immediately preceding the date of application, AND
- A student must have been a resident of Saratoga County for at least on month within the six months immediately preceding the date of application. A student that has not been a resident of Saratoga County for that entire six-month period must obtain a certificate from each count of residence within that six-month period. He/she must apply at the County Treasure’s Office.
- Non-citizens are required to document their resident status and must apply at the County Treasure’s Office.
Elements of Acceptable Proof
- At a minimum, two proofs are required: one must be 1 year old and one less than 30 days old
- Each residence on the application must be documented. Proof will be required within 30 days if the date of any move in the past year.
- Each document must be dated and include name and physical street address. Documents with a post office box will not suffice unless a physical address is also indicated.
- No claim of residency will be accepted solely on your testimony or that of your parents, relatives, friends or other individuals.
- The standard proof will not be compromised because you have left yourself insufficient time to obtain proof.
- College correspondence including bills or schedule of classes
- Bank Statements
- Utility bills
- Medical records including prescriptions
- Report cards with an issue date of 1 year old or within 30 days
- Dated mail or postmarked envelopes
- Income tax return with preprinted label or W2’s
- Formal lease or letter from your landlord indicating dates of tenancy may be accepted when on letterhead.
- Driver’s license, car registration and insurance card may be used when the issue date reflected is 1 year or older, or within 30 days of application.
The Malta Town Board passed a Resolution on August 2, 2021 that desires to establish the American Military Education Need Program to provide college tuition reimbursement of $250 to Malta residents who served in the military including their spouses, children and grandchildren. The grant totaling $2,500 and applications are available until funds are exhausted.
Applications along with proof needed are being accepted at the Malta Town Clerks office located at 2540 Route 9, Malta NY 12020 for processing.Application
CALENDAR for Application
Dates for obtaining a Certificate of Residency. (According to college)
First Day to Issue 10/24/2021
Last Day to Issue 12/23/2021
First Day to Issue 11/05/2021
Last Day to Issue 01/04/2022
First Day to Issue 11/14/2021
Last Day to Issue 01/13/2021
First Day to Issue 10/28/2021
Last Day to Issue 12/27/2021
Certificate of Residency Application, Eligibility & Requirements